Independent Port Consultants’ training and mentoring can cover all facets of ports, energy, and logistics from: market research, master planning, an introduction to civil engineering, tendering and procurement, equipment management, manpower resourcing, HR, staff development, financial and management systems, to pollution and environmental planning, HQSSE, risk, safety and security and operations.
IPC provides training on how to structure internal audits, carry them out and, how to provide feedback on non-conformities to industry standards so there is buy in to change and the improvements needed.
We can help you prepare for International Ship and Port Facility Security as well as ISPS, Port Marine Safety Code (PMSC), Dangerous Goods (DG) and other regulatory, health & safety (ISO 45001) and ISO audits.
We can provide training in the maritime regulatory environment including the IMO, UNCLOS, SOLAS, ISM / SMS standards and their effect on shore personnel boarding vessels in port (See also Harbour Master Training).
With 90% of all accidents being caused by human error and, most due to the prevailing conditions and culture, we can help you to identify where and how your safety culture needs change.
IPC’s training will help you reduce your accidents and near misses, as well as address the conflict between safety and productivity.
IPC can train individuals within your organisation so they can develop a good health & safety and security culture that also benefits productivity, professionalism and motivation which also improves bottom line profitability.
Effective communication with the press and key media contacts is critical to extending business reputation, engaging with stakeholders and remaining competitive.
We can train members of your organisation to understand:
- Your market positioning and Unique Selling Points (USPs)
- Media relations strategy and Public Relations campaigns
- Pitching content to media
- News release creation and distribution
- Authoring of features, interviews and opinion pieces
Port Operations requires a multitude of skills and disciplines. IPC provides training on how to achieve performance improvements, equipment maintenance planning and port audits. We also provide introductions to all types of cargo and how it is handled.
IPC can also provide training on the following:
- Plant and equipment requirements
- Performance monitoring (Key Performance Indicators)
- Labour and Staff training
- Operational budget training including OPEX and CAPEX management
IPC, working with our colleagues in IDG Maritime Ltd , delivers one and three day seminars for harbour masters and their deputies, duty holders, designated persons, port directors, nominated councillors and other senior port officers.
- Our regular three-day Harbour Master’ Port Marine Safety Code & NOS courses take place in Southampton in February, June and October and feature lectures, discussion and practical exercises. Our courses include participation by the MCA, the MAIB, the MMO, legal experts from London, environmental specialists from the UK’s leading port operators and from security advisers.
- We bring our one day DH / DP courses to individual or groups of ports around the world and are also planning a series of such courses in each of the UKHMA’s Regions according to demand.
The structuring of port concessions is a fine balance of providing equitable protection and reward for the parties involved.
Independent Port Consultants is available to provide training to government (or public) entities who wish to privatise port concessions on the requirements needed to make their key national assets appealing to private investors.
IPC can train government authorities on international best practices in privatisation processes (such as public tenders or international calls for bids) so that their projects are not only bankable and can withstand legal scrutiny but also, attract the right partners from the private sector.